[Lxc-users] Networking issues with LXC

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Feb 10 09:23:47 UTC 2010

Hello,

I am running LXC version 0.6.5, with kernel 2.6.32.7.  I am having some
pretty significant troubles getting networking to reliably work with the
containers.  That is to say, the host name is doing just fine, and
answers network requests all the time.  However, the containers
sometimes fail to respond to network for requests for several seconds
and several connection attempts.  This isn't a problem in that it's
rejecting connections on the ports specifically; it's as if there is no
machine on my network with the IP address assigned to the container,
until it comes alive again and answers the network.

If I work with a container after getting a connection, I can reach that
container for several minutes (usually---sometimes it will cut off a
connection, though, and then it is again as if that IP address doesn't
exist on my network).

I'm out of options as far as getting this working:  This network
configuration works with containers under OpenVZ or full virtual
machines in KVM, where the virtualized network cards are attached to the
bridge.  The IP configuration is handed out by DHCP, (except for my
public IP addresses, which are manually assigned) and the IP addresses,
netmasks, default routes, gateways, broadcast addresses, and so forth
are all correct.  Nonetheless, the networking is *extremely* unreliable.

I don't know how to provide additional information to attempt to work
through a problem like this; any guidance in this area would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

	--- Mike

--