[Lxc-users] Still can not get macvlan to work.

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Feb 8 14:18:02 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 10:38 +0100, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 16:40 -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> >
> >> I mentioned this in an earlier posting that I was using the veth method
> >> with bridges because I could NOT get macvlan to work.  Problem is that
> >> the containers will come up and will talk on the network but the host
> >> can not talk to any of the guest containers.  Ping doesn't work and
> >> connections don't work.  Not IPv4 or IPv6.  I can connect to containers
> >> from other systems (both IPv4 and IPv6) but not from the system that's
> >> hosting them.  Someone suggested that the problem was an old bug that
> >> they thought was fixed in more recent kernels.  But wasn't more
> >> specific.
> >>
> >> I just recently moved several of my test containers from my Fedora 11
> >> engine to a newer 64 bit Fedora 12 system.  In the process, I thought,
> >> what the heck, lets give macvlan another shot, so I reconfigured a
> >> couple of the containers from veth to macvlan.  Same problem.  Latest
> >> kernel from Fedora and same problem.
> >>

> > Another point on the curve.  Two containers, both on macvlan, can not
> > ping each other but the other containers, on the veth bridge, on the
> > same host, can ping each other and the macvlan containers.  IPtables
> > firewall rules are completely flushed so it's not firewalling either.

> What is the link of the macvlan eth0 or br0 ?

Initially, when I first migrated a couple of machines over, it was eth0.
When I realized it was still exhibiting the same problem, the subsequent
system were left on veth and I changed the link to virbr0 with no
difference.  So, I've tried it both ways with the same result.  Sorry
for not mentioning that earlier.

> I suspect this combination is not supported yet, you may wait for the
> 2.6.33 kernel and use the "vepa" mode (lxc.network.macvlan.mode = vepa).

Hmmm...  Ok...  Noted.  Back on veth till 2.6.33 then.  Thx!

Regards
Mike