[Lxc-users] Still can not get macvlan to work.

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Feb 7 22:01:13 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 16:40 -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> I mentioned this in an earlier posting that I was using the veth method
> with bridges because I could NOT get macvlan to work.  Problem is that
> the containers will come up and will talk on the network but the host
> can not talk to any of the guest containers.  Ping doesn't work and
> connections don't work.  Not IPv4 or IPv6.  I can connect to containers
> from other systems (both IPv4 and IPv6) but not from the system that's
> hosting them.  Someone suggested that the problem was an old bug that
> they thought was fixed in more recent kernels.  But wasn't more
> specific.
>
> I just recently moved several of my test containers from my Fedora 11
> engine to a newer 64 bit Fedora 12 system.  In the process, I thought,
> what the heck, lets give macvlan another shot, so I reconfigured a
> couple of the containers from veth to macvlan.  Same problem.  Latest
> kernel from Fedora and same problem.

Another point on the curve.  Two containers, both on macvlan, can not
ping each other but the other containers, on the veth bridge, on the
same host, can ping each other and the macvlan containers.  IPtables
firewall rules are completely flushed so it's not firewalling either.

> The Fedora 11 kernel: kernel-2.6.30.10-105.2.4.fc11.i586
> The Fedora 12 kernel: kernel-2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.x86_64
>
> Anyone with thoughts or suggestions on what to try next?

Mike