[Lxc-users] GUI container

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Fri Dec 17 00:13:38 UTC 2010

On 17/12/2010, at 9:40 AM, Nirmal Guhan wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Nirmal Guhan <vavatutu at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Christoph Willing <c.willing at uq.edu.au
>> > wrote:

>>> Most of my containers are without X (run level 3). When I have one
>>> that
>>> needs a X environment I start an Xvfb with a simple window manager
>>> (mwm)
>>> using a boot script. When I need gui type access to it, I run
>>> x11vnc in the
>>> container and access that environment from anywhere with vncviewer.
>>>

>> Do I need to start container with X (level 5?). I tried these steps :
>> 1. Start container in level 3.
>> 2.  lxc-console into container
>> 3. Run Xvfb (that returned error as)
>> #Xvfb :0 -screen 0 1024x768x16 -ac &
>> SELinux: Invalid object class mapping, disabling SELinux support.
>> (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed
>> (/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
>> file or directory)
>> (EE) GLX: could not load software renderer
>> 4. Run mwm
>> # mwm
>> Error: Can't open display: 0.0
>> I have set display to 0.0
>>
>> If I start Xvfb with no options I still get the above errors.
>>
>> Any idea on what I am missing?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nirmal
>>
> Worked after setting the display to "ipaddress:0". BTW, a naive
> question. Is it possible to start the container itself in level 5 as I
> do for host so I don't have to use vnc stuff ?

I haven't tried it but it may work if you have a different physical
display available - maybe even a different graphics card is needed. If
you have the host and container each at run level 5 then they would
each be running an X server. I don't think they could both control the
same graphics card - you'd probably need 1 card for each X server. I'm
just guessing though ...

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland