[Lxc-users] GUI container

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Fri Dec 10 22:40:23 UTC 2010

On 11/12/2010, at 1:04 AM, Matto Fransen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 10:21:49PM -0800, Nirmal Guhan wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried running a GUI app (firefox for instance) inside a
>> container or as an application container? Just want to know if this
>> requires any special steps before I tread that path. Am using Fedora
>> 12 for both host and container.
>>

> It is no problem to run GUI apps in a container.
> I have set up one of my containers as an X-server. From an
> old laptop I do "X -query <ip-number> and run the window-manager
> that is installed on the container.
>
> You can use ssh -X to log in into the container and start
> your X-app.

Most of my containers are without X (run level 3). When I have one
that needs a X environment I start an Xvfb with a simple window
manager (mwm) using a boot script. When I need gui type access to it,
I run x11vnc in the container and access that environment from
anywhere with vncviewer.

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland