[Lxc-users] On clean shutdown of Ubuntu 10.04 containers

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Tue Dec 7 00:03:12 UTC 2010

"Michael H. Warfield" <mhw at WittsEnd.com>
writes:

>> Ubuntu 10.04 simply REQUIRES /var/run to be a tmpfs; this is hard-coded
>> into mountall's (upstart's) /lib/init/fstab.
>
> Are you absolutely SURE about this?  I was under the impression this was
> under control of the /etc/default/rcS file and the RAMRUN option.  I set
> both that and RAMLOCK to "no" and didn't think I was having any problems
> with it but I'm not sure if that was specifically a 10.04 container I
> was testing with.  I'll have to reverify to see if they've changed that.
> That should really be consider a bug, if true.  Nothing should require
> something be on tmpfs.

RAMRUN and RAMLOCK are Debian options.  The code that handles them in
Debian sysvinit is replaced by mountall(8), and the references to them
in the rcS manpage are removed as at 10.04.

Further, in Debian RAMRUN and RAMLOCK are undefined by default, and
setting them to "yes" is what causes the sysvinit boot process to mount
them.

#ubuntu-server agreed with that analysis, but I haven't personally tried
setting RAMRUN=no to confirm it (have to scounge a non-production lucid
box...).  I *do* know that adding/removing the entry from
/lib/init/fstab, which is a mountallism, resulted in my containers
having/not having a tmpfs mount on /var/run.