[Lxc-users] limiting RAM usage and disk space usage

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Dec 3 03:22:45 UTC 2010

Sorry, I should have added an example...

Below...

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 22:18 -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 18:29 -0600, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > Quoting Gordon Henderson (gordon at drogon.net):

> > > I don't know, really. I use loopback mounted filesystems for other things
> > > and I don't really notice much slowdowns compared to the native
> > > filesystem, but I've never benchmarked it.
> > >
> > > It is some years since I looked at LVM and I wasn't impressed then so
> > > stopped thinking about it and used something else (I was looking at
> > > snapshot abilities at the time) I build systems for a purpose so rarely
> > > have the need to do the only thing LVM might be handy for - ie. resizing a
> > > volume so it just doesn't fgure in my systems, but maybe this is a valid
> > > use now.
>
> > It seems to me that a little extension to lxc-create which creates
> > the container inside a loopback fs would be pretty neat.
>
> Wouldn't simply adding the rootfs to the fstab conf with the file system
> image and the "-o loop" option do it?  I would think it would.  I
> haven't tried it in lxc but I do it all the time just for general
> mounting and day to day work.

So this is an excerpt from one of my LXC VM's fstab (I normally use an
explicit bind mount for them):

/srv/lxc/private/1004 /srv/lxc/rootfs    none bind 0 0

Now...  Wouldn't this work as well?  Untested:

/srv/lxc/private/disk.image /srv/lxc/rootfs    none loop 0 0

Seems to me that if the bind option works the loop option should as
well.

> > -serge

Regards,
Mike