[Lxc-users] Running XOrg in a container

lxc at jelmail.com lxc at jelmail.com
Sun Aug 22 19:44:13 UTC 2010

Hello, this is my first post here so please bear with me. I have been
evaluating LXC over the past week and I am trying to set up a desktop
environment inside a container that uses the host's hardware devices.

Is what I am trying to do possible?

I have read various things via google on the subject and believe that the
container needs access to the graphics hardware device (in my case,
/dev/nvidia0), /dev/input/mice and /dev/mem.

I have been unable to set up access to the latter two via cgroups in the
container configuration file and I have been unable to create device files
in the container for them.

lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 195:* rwm # dev/nvidia*
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 1:1   rwm # dev/mem
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 13:63  rwm # dev/input/mice

If the last two are present, the container will not start. If I remove them
then the container starts but I can't create the device files.

$mknod /dev/mem c 1 1
mknod: `/dev/mem': Operation not permitted

Any advice of how to get X up and running from inside a container would be
most welcome.