[Lxc-users] Network questions

Tim lxc-user at tyra.ch
Mon Apr 12 13:46:35 UTC 2010

Hello

I am trying out LXC as a replacement for Linux-VServer on a Ubuntu Lucid
Beta System with Kernel 2.6.32-19 and have different questions
concerning the network.

[note: I assume I will stay on kernel 2.6.32 as this will be the kernel
of the lucid final release. as this will be a long term support release
I would like to be able to optain security updates thru standart
channels (apt-get) without having to rebuild the kernel after every
security notice.]

1) network types:

what is a macvlan?
what can I do with a macvlan and what can I not do with it? (for the
kernel version 2.6.32)

what is vlan?
also: what can I do with a vlan?

did I understand this right: network type 'phys' is not functional in my
kernel version? eg, I cannot use the physical eth0 device in my vserver.

2) I have a server with one external device eth0. I have different IPs
attached to this device. one of them is the main host IP.
my goal is to have one of this IPs in a Container, so that I can eg. run
a Web/FTP/Mailserver with its own IP Address within that VServer. I do
not need to communicate with the host from the container thru this IP,
as I setup an internal Network for internal communication.
However, from my provider I cannot use bridges as it seems that he is
checking the mac address of the originating device (eth0 oder br0, ..).
so I cannot put eth0 in a bridge and link to that one from within the
container.
Is this possible with my current kernel?

also I might need to have access to the same IP/Device from different
vservers, is this also possible?

3) I read about two types how to install and use containers: either with
the lxc tools or with libvirt.

are these basicly two interfaces to the same functionality?

is the networking support different in libvirt?
eg does it allow a physical interface to be passed thru to the container?

what is the advantage of libvirt over lxc tools?

thanks very much
Tim