[Lxc-users] Broken my lxc vms

Gordon Henderson gordon at drogon.net
Fri Apr 2 21:43:50 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010, Nigel Magnay wrote:

> Hi there - I've managed to get my configuration a bit broken;
>
> I've been experimenting with lxc, latterly with ubuntu 10.04-beta as
> it has a kernel that doesn't need patching (2.6.32-16)
>
> Initially all was well; following the setup on
> http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/lxc-configure-ubuntu-karmic-containers/
> was all very nice; it was working with an sshd I could correctly
> connect to.
>
> However, I managed to terminate a container in a rather abrupt way,
> and it hasn't worked since.
>
> I'm seeing things like
>
> root at nirima-host:/home/magnayn# lxc-start -n ubuntu
> swapon: /dev/disk/by-uuid/35b40dbb-337c-4f46-a82f-642d6fbf3faa: swapon
> failed: Device or resource busy

OK - I'm relatively new to LXC (couple of months), I also use Debian not
Ubuntu, but to me, it looks like your container is executing a whole bunch
of init-scripts that it shouldn't be executing. (or really doesn't need
to)

In my containers, I just have /etc/init.d/rcS with nothing more than a
line to create a default route (as the network is already created with
lxc-start). The line

   exec /etc/init.d/rc S

is commented out. That's the ones in Debian that'll normally do stuff with
hardware like activate swap, fsck, etc.

> Also - lxc looks exactly what I want to isolate some app servers into
> individual units. Is lxc considered reasonably stable (as it's
> mainline now), or should I steer clear for a bit ?

I've jumped in at the deep end - did a lot of local testing myself
including running 50 containers on an old server, starting/stopping,
running applications, etc. each running a standard LAMPy type thing - and
Asterisk... And was happy enough with it to start to migrate a lot of
remote hosted servers over to it, and have decided to build all my server
from now on with containers in-mind.

Gordon