[lxc-devel] Integration Kubernetes and LXD/LXC

Oliver Schad oliver.schad at automatic-server.com
Mon Oct 1 16:20:30 UTC 2018

Hi everybody,

first I want to thank the community around LXC and Canonical for this
great peace of software.

We do a lot in the area of Kubernetes and integrated LXC/LXD with
Kubernetes through CRI - therefore we added this interface inside it's
own daemon, which then controls LXD.

We called this daemon LXE.

Why?

Kubernetes has a lot of infrastructure for containers and more and more
integration is done within that. So it makes sense to try to use that
as good as possible.

But: the existing container runtimes are more or less build to be
restarted (on change, on failure, on bugs, on almost everything). On the
other hand, stateful applications needs to stay online - as much as
possible. Yes, even a cassandra cluster doesn't like a lot of
restarting. No, MySQL and PostgreSQL just die, if you restart the
master and no: multi-master doesn't work for every use case.

Does a mission critical project like downtimes? It's not our experience
that business likes that.

So there is a clear difference in the design goals of something like
Docker with immuteable storage and something like LXC. In fact, most
container engines really sucks in terms of handling state. But we're
lucky, LXC shines bright in the area of handling state.

Bring LXC to Kubernetes

So in fact, we've done it. Kubernetes works together with LXC/LXD and
you can do "kubectl get pods", "kubectl create" and so on and you have
exactly one API for all your platform services and applications.
Configmaps with LXC? Works.

Do you like it?

For us it really makes sense. If there is a clear demand in the
community to have a kubernetes integration, we try to bring that
project to the public.

Best Regards
Oli