[lxc-devel] LXC 2.1 to be released on Tuesday (call for testing)

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 4 03:06:50 UTC 2017

Hi,

After a long time of development in master, we've finally decided that
it's time to put out a new LXC release.

Moving forward we plan to do so more frequently with the target being
every 6 months or so.

As far as I'm concerned, current master on Github is ready for the 2.1
release of LXC, so this is a call for testing.

It'd be great if you some folks could take current git master for a spin
and make sure that the bits that matter to them are working properly.

LXC 2.1 is only going to be supported for 9 months or so, this isn't
going to be a LTS release. The current LTS releases (1.0 and 2.0) are
recommended for production use and the next LTS release will be 3.0, to
be released in February.

As far as changes, I'm still working on the full changelog for the
release announcement, but on top of a lot of small feature additions,
LXC 2.1 is a transitional release towards LXC 3.0. This means that it's
backward compatible with LXC 2.0 but also aware of what will change in
3.0 and will issue appropriate warnings as well as providing a tool to
programatically update your configurations.

Short of something critical being reported, we intend to release LXC 2.1
on Tuesday.

Thanks!