[lxc-devel] Update to images.linuxcontainers.org

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 7 05:51:10 UTC 2016

Hello,

The image server used by both the LXC "download" template and by the
"images" LXD remote has now been switched over from one my own servers
in Canada to a combination of two servers hosted by Canonical Ltd. in
the UK and US.

The setup uses GeoIP to detect the closest server and redirect you there.
You can check by hitting: https://images.linuxcontainers.org

That should redirect you to one of:
 - https://us.images.linuxcontainers.org (US - East Coast)
 - https://uk.images.linuxcontainers.org (UK - London)

Or if you're still getting the old DNS record, you won't be redirected
which indicates that you're still hitting the Canada based server (which
is kept functional as a fallback).

This change should be transparent for most users. Folks who have pretty
strict firewalls may have to update their rules for the new IPv4 and
IPv6 addresses:

stgraber at dakara:~$ host images.linuxcontainers.org
images.linuxcontainers.org is an alias for canonical.images.linuxcontainers.org.
canonical.images.linuxcontainers.org has address 91.189.91.21
canonical.images.linuxcontainers.org has address 91.189.88.37
canonical.images.linuxcontainers.org has IPv6 address 2001:67c:1562::41
canonical.images.linuxcontainers.org has IPv6 address 2001:67c:1560:8001::21

If you notice any breakage using LXC or LXD that's not caused by your
network, please reply to this e-mail and we'll investigate.

Thanks!