[lxc-devel] pylxd sprint

James Pic jamespic at gmail.com
Fri May 20 00:13:29 UTC 2016

Hi all \o/

There's been a lot of discussion around pylxd since a PR has been
opened on Ansible to include an lxd_container module. It's really long
so I'll try to brief you about it in this email, but FTR here it is:
https://github.com/ansible/ansible-modules-extras/pull/2208

Basically we're a pretty broad group of developers and we would love
to use the next pylxd release. I don't know what happened in the
cosmos if the planets aligned some way, perhaps the great chtulu is
coming or something, but we more or less all decided at the same time
that using lxd in ansible would be the next big thing and it turns out
we're all willing to spend a really fair amount of time in making this
happen and be awesome.

It seems like the pylxd module could be even more awesome if only we
could give it some love. And that's what we want to do: there has been
discussion about how we could avoid using pylxd for now. And it seems
like nobody can honestly say that using the lxc command line or
re-inventing pylxd inside ansible would be the right thing to do.

I'd like to ask you if you could kindly help us organize a 1-week
sprint to get an awesome pylxd RC out. The contribution flow is going
to increase a bit, so, IMHO, we'd need:

- proper CI, running the new integration tests,
- automatic documentation build,
- at least 1 pylxd-maintainer willing to guide us during the sprint to
provide quick patch reviews.

Otherwise, we could either work on a fork that's going to grow fast
outside pylxd, either just get on with our lives and just leave a PR
or two die upstream while lxd_container never makes it to ansible.

What do you think ?

Thanks for reading,

Best

James B)