[lxc-devel] Contributions to LXC now prefered as Github pull-requests

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 3 16:03:17 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 12:43:21PM +0100, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For a long time, Serge and I have been preferring LXC contributions to
> be sent through the mailing-list kernel-style.
>
> This has been working reasonably well for us though lately I've been
> lagging behind a bit in mailing-list reviews, leading to occasional
> conflicts and regressions.
>
> For LXD and LXCFS we've been preferring contributions be sent through
> pull requests on Github where we have integration with our Jenkins
> testsuite. After some discussion with Serge a couple of days ago at
> FOSDEM, we've decided that we should apply the same policy for LXC going
> forward.
>
> That means that from now on, the preferred way of contributing to LXC is
> through Github pull requests again the master branch. We will still
> accept patches sent to the list for those of you who don't wish to
> register on Github, but those will typically be lower priority for us
> than those sent through Github.
>

> I'm adding a couple more sanity checks to Jenkins today and also adding
> e-mail notifications of new pull requests so that pull requests sent
> through Github result in an e-mall on the list with the appropriate
> subject line and description as well as an attached patch of the change.
>
> --
> Stéphane Graber
> Ubuntu developer
> http://www.ubuntu.com

Hey everyone,

So we've now been doing this for a month and I figured it'd be a good
time to get some feedback.

How has the new process been working for you?

Is it faster and easier to get changes into LXC or has Github been a
problem with you and slowing you down or causing you to re-consider
sending changes upstream?

On my side, it seems like we've been significantly faster at doing
reviews and getting stuff merged, part of this is thanks to Github
making it easy to review and merge stuff but another part is thanks to
Christian who's joined Serge, Dwight and I as committer to the project.

Being able to trivially (and for committers, automatically) get Jenkins
to run all our tests against proposed changes is very convenient and has
caught a number of issues we wouldn't have seen through normal review,
so overall I'm quite happy with the chaage.