[lxc-devel] default dhcp network

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 3 06:36:10 UTC 2016

Quoting Tamas Papp (tompos at martos.bme.hu):
> hi All,
>

> IMO 10.0.3.0/24 is way too general to be default.
> It would be better, more suitable, less problematic with less
> conflicts if it would be something like 10.251.78.0/24 or
> 172.31.251.0/24.
>

> And if there is any change, that should be done before the LTS release:)
>

> What are your thoughts?

There simply is no way to be sure there are no conflicts with the
rest of your network.  If it conflicts with something on your host
it should detect that and switch to 10.0.4.0, but that's it.  That's
why lxd will take a different approach with no ipv4 addresses by default
at all.

But so, choosing another arbitrary address just doesn't seem any
better.  TBH the only conflict I've had in my own networks has
been with lxc itself which has been detected - but I know others
have seen real conflicts.