[lxc-devel] cgroup V2 and LXC

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 15 19:48:05 UTC 2016

Quoting Christian Brauner (christian.brauner at mailbox.org):
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 05:45:48PM +0000, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> > Quoting Christian Brauner (christian.brauner at mailbox.org):

> > > Well, here is how I thought it could go (sticking to systemd specifics here):
> > >         - create a slice for all lxc "lxc.slice" (similar to "machine.slice" of
> > >           systemd-nspawn backed containers)
> > >         - "lxc.slice" contains a scope for each container (e.g. "c1.scope"
> > >         - "c1.scope" contains an "init.scope"
> > >         - "init.scope" only contains the PID of "/sbin/init" as seen from the
> > >           host (obviously)
> >
> > So if we are creating container c1, are you talking about
> >
> > /lxc/c1/lxc.slice/c1.scope/init.scope
> >
> > or are you talking about a host-global
> >
> > /lxc.slice
> Yes, you have lxc.slice then you have all your machines under this. This is what
> systemd-nspawn does if I'm not mistaken.
> > with container-specific
> >
> > /lxc.slice/c1.scope
> >
> > per container?
> >
> > ?
> Yes.

This doesn't seem to address the problem.  Where we put these on the host doesn't
matter.  The question is, we create container c1, in which cgroup do we put the
init process?

Assume we create /lxc/c1 on the host as we do now.  This becomes / in the container's
cgroup namespace.  Where do we put init?  If we put it into (namespaced) /, then
systemd will not be able to create any cgroups.  So we should probably put it into
/init.scope.  This is fine with cgroup namespaces since it can see it is in '/init.scope'
(or '/' if an unprivileged container couldn't create a cgroup for some controllers).
But if we do not have cgroup namespaces, systemd sees it is running in perhaps
/user.slice/user-1000.slice/session-c6.scope/lxc/lxdvm1/lxc/c1/init.scope.  In that
case we want systemd to recognize init.scope and create services under
/user.slice/user-1000.slice/session-c6.scope/lxc/lxdvm1/lxc/c1.

> > >         - All other processes are put in another slice "c1-something.slice"
> >
> > Which other processes?
> Well, all processes, systemd starts are either put in system.slice or
> user.slice. All other things we start in the container (let it be e.g. vim) is
> put in a session.slice (e.g. session-0.slice, session-1000.slice).

wc -l /sys/fs/cgroup/memory/tasks
548

> > AFAIK all other processes will be created by systemd.  The q is what will it
> > do.  If we put systemd in /lxc.slice/c1.scope/init.scope, will it take that
> > as its cgroup root and try to create and move itself into
> > /lxc.slice/c1.scope/init.scope ?  If so it will fail since it cannot create a
> > cgroup while it is in it.
> I don't think so but I need to test that again. Time to boot unified.
>

> > So I think I've convinced myself that we need to collaborate with systemd
> > on this.  Perhaps we can agree with it on a default cgroup in which it should
> > be started to tell it "this is the leaf cgroup for your init".  So if it sees
> > it is in /a/b/c/.cg_leaf, then it will know that /a/b/c is its root.
> I thought the same that's why I started to read some of the code.
> fwiw, systemd-nspawn already works with the unified cgroup hierarchy and I think
> nesting works as well. But I'm not completely sure how nspawn handles nesting.

Looks like it puts systemd into '/supervisor' and the container into '/payload'?
(nspawn-cgroup.c)