[lxc-devel] LXC 2.0 has been released!

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 6 18:19:58 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

It's with great pleasure that the LXC development team is announcing
the release of LXC 2.0!

This is the result of over a year of work from upstream LXC and was made
of over 700 commits by over 90 contributors!

It also joins LXCFS which got its own 2.0 release last week and will
very soon be joined by LXD 2.0. Those three combined make for a new,
completely reworked, user experience while still keeping full backward
compatibility for our existing users who do not wish to upgrade to LXD.

All our Long Term Support releases benefit from a 5 years support
commitment which for the 2.0 means until the 1st of June 2021.
During those 5 years we will be publishing occasional bugfix and
security releases made from backported fixes from our development
branch.

LXC 2.0 includes a cleaner user experience, more reliable
checkpoint/restore of containers, improved cgroup handling and a lot of
bugfixes.

It is also worth noting that the liblxc library shipped in 2.0 is still
fully backward compatible with that released in LXC 1.0 two years ago.

A detailed release announcement may be found here:
https://linuxcontainers.org/news

The release tarballs may be found at https://linuxcontainers.org/downloads
or you may just wait a few days for your favorite distribution to
package this new LXC release.

Our git repository and bug tracker are on Github: https://github.com/lxc/lxc

Additional information on LXC itself may be found on our website:
https://linuxcontainers.org

And we have mailing-lists for user questions and for development (patches):
https://lists.linuxcontainers.org

We hope you'll enjoy this new release as much as we do!

Stéphane Graber
On behalf of the LXC development team