[lxc-devel] (Mount) namespaces cleanup

Wolfgang Bumiller w.bumiller at proxmox.com
Mon Sep 7 12:26:49 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 06:09:36PM +0000, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> > I'm assuming the cleanup is left to the kernel for when the last
> > reference to the namespace disappears. However, this can be
>
> Yes.
>
> > problematic in some cases. For instance with an NFS mount, which can
> > apparently hang indefinitely.
> >
> > So I'd like to know what the recommended procedure there is. One thing
> > that came to mind is adding a `cleanup` hook. Currently there's only a
> > post-stop hook which is run in the host's namespace after stopping. A
> > cleanup hook would ideally be run after stopping the processes in the
> > container but *inside* the container's namespaces. (Maybe also a
> > pre-stop hook to be run inside the container before killing the
> > processes?)
>
> cleanup hook could be useful.  What exactly would you do there to solve
> your problem?

The idea is to manually unmount the storages we want to manage from the
outside, so that if an unmount hangs we actually notice it (because the
unmount-process would hang with it, and we'd see that as we'd be waiting
for it to finish.)

Dead mounts aren't the only issue though, timing is, too. Here's an
example: We have two nodes in a cluster and want to migrate a container
from one to the other. So we stop the container, now let's assume the
data is on shared storage, so we (up until now) assumed we can simply
start it on the other node, however, there's no guarantee that we can
already do this: like if the network filesystem is slow, and is thus
still in the process of syncing, we'd be trying to mount the data on
node B before node A is finished syncing.

In the cleanup hook we'd basically just wait for the mounts, and thus
either delay the start of the container on the other node, or throw an
error after a time out and prevent the start on the other node.

The other idea we had would be to keep the filesystems visible on the
host. That way the host can make sure they're unmounted after the
container is stopped. Since the container AFAIK is an MS_SLAVE mount
this would propagate to the container if it's still alive for some other
reason.