[lxc-devel] disable container start if lxcfs is not running

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue May 12 15:04:12 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 04:50:05PM +0200, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> > Quoting Dietmar Maurer (dietmar at proxmox.com):
> > >
> > > I this really a common scenario?
> >
> > Yes, very common.
>
> Oh - I though LXC 1.1 is the development branch and not used in production?
>
> Or do you use this scenario for development?

LXC 1.1 is a stable release, just not a long term release like 1.0.
Distributions like Ubuntu ship LXC 1.1 in their short term releases, so
running a recent distribution inside a container running on a host using
the long term support release is a pretty common usecase.

That happens reasonably often with VPS users where the VPS hoster runs
the long term release but the customer runs a more recent version of the
distribution and may want sub-containers. Another usecase is for CI
infrastructure where again, the CI container tends to run the latest
version of everything, but the host runs a long term stable release.