[lxc-devel] running LXC test cases in mainline kernels

Andrew McDermott andrew.mcdermott at linaro.org
Tue Jun 2 11:21:41 UTC 2015

I am testing and benchmarking various container technologies (LXC,
Docker) on an X-Gene (Applied Micro, ARMv8) system.

Using the default ubuntu kernel from vivid (3.19.0-18-generic) I can
successfully run all the LXC tests.

As part of my testing I'm also trying mainline kernels (4.1-rc6),
largely for KVM hotplug support. Out of completeness I tried running the
LXC tests on this version and get some failures:

    lxc-test-apparmor
    lxc-test-apparmor-mount
    lxc-test-cloneconfig
    lxc-test-ubuntu
    lxc-test-unpriv

My kernel config for 4.1-rc6 was based on running `make olddefconfig'
from vivid's kernel.

Digging around a little I see that the ubuntu kernel carries some
features/patches for LXC (e.g., security/apparmor/mount.c) that are not
in the mainline kernel. Is there a plan/timeframe where these features
will end up in the mainline kernel?

Thanks,
Andrew.