[lxc-devel] lxc-clone rewrite

Christian Brauner christianvanbrauner at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 05:05:45 UTC 2015

Integrating lxc-clone with the standard lxc parser is not possible unless it is
allowed to change command line options. lxc-clone uses -n, -P and -o in a way
that is inconsistent with the standard lxc common options defined in
LXC_COMMON_OPTIONS in arguments.h and the parser in arguments.c. Since we do not
want to break expectations of existing users that rely on lxc-clone I thought it
might be a good idea to reimplement lxc-clone as lxc-copy. This way we can
retain lxc-clone as a working executable but have it print out a "will soon be
deprecated. Please switch to lxc-copy"-type message similar to what e.g. Docker
does. The main arguments for reimplementing lxc-clone for is the tighter
integration with the rest of the lxc-executables, using the standard parser and
most of all the standard lxc-logging feature which we get by integrating it with
the standard parser. I provided a branch on github which implements this idea
(manpages and all included).

        git clone https://github.com/brauner/lxc.git
        git checkout copy

I'd be happy to hear whether you think this is a good idea or if you would like
to just keep the old lxc-clone.

Christian