[lxc-devel] Help building LXC from source

David Richardson pudnik019 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 22:31:38 UTC 2014

Hey everyone,

Apologies up front for a somewhat dumb question, but I'm looking to build
and install LXC from source on Ubuntu-14.04 so that I can debug some issues
I'm seeing with automounting in a container.  My current strategy is to
build from the source at *ppa:ubuntu-lxc/stable*, and it looks something
like:

# Get all the LXC dependencies built and installed:
apt-get build-dep lxc
apt-get install adduser bridge-utils dnsmasq-base iptables python3 apparmor
sysv-rc libc6

# Get LXC source from repo and build the packages
apt-get source lxc
cd lxc-1.0.6
<MODIFY SOME CODE>
debuild -us -uc -b

# Install built packages:
dpkg -i lxc_1.0.6-0ubuntu0.1~ubuntu14.04.1~ppa1_amd64.deb

Unfortunately, no matter what order I chose to install the .deb packages, I
get complaints about unmet dependencies between my packages.

What's the best procedure for building, installing, and debugging LXC on a
dev box?

Thanks!

~Dave