[lxc-devel] lxc-dnsmasq user

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 2 21:26:30 UTC 2014

Quoting Dwight Engen (dwight.engen at oracle.com):
> Hi Mike,
>
> I was just wondering what the reason was for choosing to create a
> lxc-dnsmasq user? If I read the dnsmasq man-page right, it will
> normally drop privileges and switch to user 'nobody', so was there some
> reason 'nobody' was a problem?
>
> Just asking as it would be simpler if lxc didn't have to create/delete
> the additional lxc-dnsmasq user in the distro packaging. Thanks.

I suspect this came from me from the original network configuration for
ubuntu.  Basically the idea is there'll also be dnsmasq running for
libvirt and for the host, so better to keep those from harming each
other.  Libvirt already ran its own under libvirt-dnsmasq, so I added
lxc-dnsmasq along the same lines.

I think it'd be fair to have the init scripts check to see if the
lxc-dnsmasq user exists, and start as user nobody if not.

-serge