[lxc-devel] Question on hardware-guaranteed security in the new LXD hypervisor for containers

Bhushan Jain bpjain at cs.stonybrook.edu
Tue Nov 18 17:10:41 UTC 2014

Hi,
I am a PhD candidate at Stony Brook University working in the area of
system security.
I had a few questions about the hardware-guaranteed security announced at
http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud/tools/lxd.

1. Which guarantees are we actually talking about here?
2. Does anyone have an idea about what is planned and what is the status of
this support?
3. Does the linux kernel have to be changed to support this hardware?
4. How soon can we expect to be able to use in practice these hardware
guarantees?
5. How is this new hardware different from say VT-x or SGX developed by
Intel?

The current design documents in the lxd github repository don't seem to
discuss this design space.

Thanks,
Bhushan