[lxc-devel] Working on the new linuxcontainers.org

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 11 23:30:59 UTC 2014

Hey,

So I've spent a few hours between yesterday and today working on a new
unified website for LXC, LXD and CGManager.

The main goal there was to support easy translation and content writing.
I think I found a reasonable compromise by writing a minimal static
website generator with excellent support for translations.

A skeleton of the new website can be found at:
    https://beta.linuxcontainers.org

And the matching code at:
    https://github.com/lxc/linuxcontainers.org

From a code point of view, I still need to implement is the download
page generator and add support for generating a .htaccess with a bunch
of redirections (so old URLs don't break).

From a content point of view, pretty much everything is missing at this
point. I'll try to populate most of it by copy/pasting the old
linuxcontainers.org content and some of the things I wrote elsewhere
(blog, ...).

There's no clear launch date yet, the plan is to switch over once it's ready.

Contributions would be appreciated. If you want to contribute, read
CONTRIBUTING.md and send your pull requests on github (make sure to sign-off).

As an example, I've currently translated the menu and footer in French,
getting the content translated too would just be a matter of creating a
/fr/ directory under content, translating the content there (keeping the
english filenames) and then updating STRUCTURE.fr.json to set the right
input file for all the translated entries.