[lxc-devel] lxd: Initial design specifications

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 7 15:16:06 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 09:52:34AM -0500, Dwight Engen wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 00:39:19 +0000
> Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Stéphane Graber (stgraber at ubuntu.com):
> > > On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 04:03:18PM -0500, Dwight Engen wrote:
> > >
> > > Re-reading the examples, except for that specific one, there's
> > > nothing that copy can do which start doesn't do too.
> >
> > Yeah, Tycho and I noticed that today right after pushing code which
> > implemented... create :)
> >
> > > So I see two options there and I'm not completely sure which I
> > > prefer to be honnest:
> > > 1) We drop copy and we add a --later option to the start command.
> > > 2) We drop copy and we introduce a create command which is
> > > identical to start except that it doesn't start the container and
> > > doesn't accept any runtime-specific argument.
> > >
> > > My problem with 1) is the obvious conceptual issue that start in
> > > that mode won't actually start anything.
> > >
> > > My problem with 2) is the addition of a new command just for what
> > > may well end up being a corner case.
> >
> > So for lxc 1.0 Stéphane worked hard to remove a slew of redundant
> > lxc-* commands.  So there's a strong desire to not err that way
> > again.  However I think 'lxc start --later' is working too hard to
> > avoid having 'lxc create'.  I don't think that create without start
> > is a corner case.
> >
> > I do agree the semantic overlap is unfortunate.  But having to do
> > 'lxc-start --later' to create feels akin to going to the start menu
> > to shut down.
>
> I agree start --later is weird. We could just have create, and it could
> have a --start option, but that doesn't seem very discover-able. If
> we're following a traditional hypervisor model, it seems they all have
> separate create vs. start so having start actually create something is
> a bit different.

Ok, good. That's what Serge proposed as a pull request last night and
which got merged, so we now have separate create and start and no more
copy.

Create and start are basically the same syntax and should be sharing
most of their code.

> > So I'd vote for adding create.  I'll propose a patch in a few minutes
> > to add that to the docs.
> >
> > thanks,
> > -serge

Can I still get you to send a pull request for profile apply?

Thanks