[lxc-devel] lxd: Initial design specifications

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 7 00:39:19 UTC 2014

Quoting Stéphane Graber (stgraber at ubuntu.com):
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 04:03:18PM -0500, Dwight Engen wrote:
>
> Re-reading the examples, except for that specific one, there's nothing
> that copy can do which start doesn't do too.

Yeah, Tycho and I noticed that today right after pushing code which
implemented... create :)

> So I see two options there and I'm not completely sure which I prefer to
> be honnest:
> 1) We drop copy and we add a --later option to the start command.
> 2) We drop copy and we introduce a create command which is identical to
>    start except that it doesn't start the container and doesn't accept any
>    runtime-specific argument.
>
> My problem with 1) is the obvious conceptual issue that start in that
> mode won't actually start anything.
>
> My problem with 2) is the addition of a new command just for what may
> well end up being a corner case.

So for lxc 1.0 Stéphane worked hard to remove a slew of redundant lxc-*
commands.  So there's a strong desire to not err that way again.  However
I think 'lxc start --later' is working too hard to avoid having
'lxc create'.  I don't think that create without start is a corner case.

I do agree the semantic overlap is unfortunate.  But having to do
'lxc-start --later' to create feels akin to going to the start menu
to shut down.

So I'd vote for adding create.  I'll propose a patch in a few minutes to add
that to the docs.

thanks,
-serge