[lxc-devel] lxd: Initial design specifications

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 6 01:13:53 UTC 2014

Hey,

So as of earlier today, we have a working repository for lxd at
github.com/lxc/lxd with the usual paperwork (license, contribution
guidelines, ...) and Serge just reviewed and merged the first design
specification.

Those are published in the specs/ folder in that branch:
https://github.com/lxc/lxd/blob/master/specs

The one I sent earlier is the command line user experience which
documents all the commands we want to support and how the whole thing
will end up feeling to the user.

I'm now working on a smaller one about some of the details of the image
system which very much ressembles what we've been doing with the
download template until now but pushing it a bit further here and there.
I expect this one to be potentially more controversial and raise more
questions.

Those specifications are mostly there to ensure we do things in a
consistent manner and will likely be re-used as documentation at a later
point. They are not set in stone and changes are welcome.

If something looks wrong, missing or incomplete in those, feel free to
bring it up for discussion on the list or just send a pull request to
change it.

As a rule, we'll always make sure that code submissions follow the
specification, so radical changes should first update the specification,
have that discussed and merged and only then change the code.