[lxc-devel] Download template images default password

TAMUKI Shoichi tamuki at linet.gr.jp
Tue Nov 4 03:31:34 UTC 2014

Hello,

From: Stephane Graber <stgraber at ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: [lxc-devel] Download template images default password
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 11:19:59 -0400

> While I'd love for every template maintainer to follow suit and ship
> with no users, no root password and no network services by default, I
> don't think it'd be very popular to force that upon them.

Sure.  By the way, the root account password is locked in Ubuntu by
default.  This means that you cannot login as root directly or use
the su command to become the root user.  So, we need to prepare some
default user account like "ubuntu" especially in Ubuntu by default,
right?

> I think there's still much discussion that need to happen around our
> templates and what we want things to look like in the future and I hope
> we can make that a main thing for 1.2.
>
> My current view is that we should be extending the download template to
> cover some of the remaining use cases of regular templates and then
> maybe one day move the templates outside of the main LXC source tree,
> instead having them reside in their own branch where people who want to
> hand roll their own images can use them. But having our default
> experience be around pre-built images offering a consistent and fast
> experience to our users.

So, after moving the download template outside of the main LXC source
tree one day in the future, is there any way to create unprivileged
containers with the regular templates in the source tree?

> I however don't expect this to happen overnight and so I think that
> first working towards providing a similar feature set across templates
> and offer more consistency is a very worthwhile goal in the near future
> and indeed something we should spend time on for 1.2.

Regards,
TAMUKI Shoichi