[lxc-devel] Probably more of a user list than a devel lis question but ...

Michael J Coss michael.coss at alcatel-lucent.com
Wed May 7 18:55:45 UTC 2014

I've been working on a sysfs FUSE to change what the container sees, and
I need to get it mounted at the right time, in the right location.  I
run on Gentoo, and the only ebuild available is for 0.8.0, so I put
together ebuilds for 1.0.3 with the hopes that the hooks provided in the
1.0.3 would help me to get my FUSE mounted. I've got 1.0.3 installed but
I still can't seem to get the FUSE mounted at the right time.

The FUSE I created is mostly a pass-thru, but applies a filter so that
certain files can be omitted from directories,  cant be opened, etc.
But of course, this means that it needs an original to shadow.  When I
started this, it never dawned on me that the host sysfs wasn't identical
to the container sysfs.  This is, of course, wrong.  Namely, there are
some interactions with network, and process namespaces that are exposed
in sysfs which means that to make my FUSE work, I need two steps:

1) mount a new instance of sysfs within the nework/process namespace of
the container on some host mount point
2) mount my pass-thru FUSE on the containers rootfs/sys mirroring the
newly mounted instance of sysfs

I had hoped that one of the many hook points would provided me with the
ability to do this but thus far, I haven't found it.   Any suggestions?
I suspect that I could change lxc-start, but I'd really rather not do
that if I don't have to.

--
---Michael J Coss