[lxc-devel] [RFE/RFC] Some minor issues with 1.0.0.beta3

Robert Vogelgesang vogel at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 27 18:34:23 UTC 2014

Hi,

during the last week I found some minor issues with 1.0.0.beta2 that
still exist with 1.0.0.beta3;  for all issues I'd like to hear if
anyone has already a patch for them, and if not, how they should be
resolved "upstream".

1. sysvinit script
------------------

In RHEL-6 (and derived distributions), the sysvinit scripts normally
support changing commandline options of daemons via shell variables
that are set in a file in /etc/sysconfig/ that have the same name
as the sysvinit script; the sysvinit script sources this file
before any action is executed.  This could be used, for example,
to add the -a option to the lxc-autostart command.  Debian uses files
in /etc/default/ to do the same.

The configure script already has the --with-distro option, which could
be extended to set the distro-dependent path in the sysvinit script.

2. rundir
---------

get_rundir() in src/lxc/utils.c defaults to "/run" if XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
is not set in the environment.  RHEL-6 uses "/var/run" instead,
RHEL-7 will use the current "standard" of "/run".  If there are
enough other distros that still use "/var/run", this should be fixed
upstream, but if RHEL-6 is the only one, then it could as well be
solved with a patch when packaging lxc for RHEL-6.

3. network broadcast address
----------------------------

On 20-Jan-2014 I submitted a patch to this list to add the missing
network address prefix to the container configuration file that is
written during e.g. a run of lxc-create.  This patch got applied,
and lxc-create in 1.0.0.beta3 is working as expected.

Later last week I noticed that the container configuration file also
supports setting an optional broadcast address in the lxc.network.ipv4
configuration option (but not in lxc.network.ipv6); this broadcast
address is currently lost, because it does not get written to the
container configuration file, in the same way as the prefix was
missing before my patch got in last week.

The patch would be trivial, but is anyone actually using a "custom"
broadcast address?  If not, this feature could as well be removed
completely.

	Robert