[lxc-devel] State of templates (wrt lxc-download)

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Jan 20 16:57:11 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-16 at 00:20 -0500, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> Hey everyone,

> So I just did a few tests on a standard Ubuntu system, trying to create
> a container for each distro that LXC supports, results are:

> alpine              FAILED (signature validation failure)
> altlinux            BROKEN (blows up in a few interesting ways)
> archlinux           BROKEN (requires pacman)
> centos              BUILDABLE (waiting on common config)
> debian              DONE
> fedora              BUILDABLE (waiting on common config)
> gentoo              BUILDABLE (waiting on common config)
> openmandriva        BROKEN (requires a mandriva host)
> opensuse            BROKEN (requires zypper)
> oracle              DONE
> plamo               DONE
> ubuntu              DONE

> So in short, if the following templates switch to using config includes,
> they'll easily be added to the daily builds for lxc-download:
>  - centos
>  - fedora
>  - gentoo

Looks like two of them (CentOS and Fedora) be me.  Considering how very
very similar CentOS is to Oracle (I could have based the CentOS template
off the Oracle template almost as easily as I did from the Fedora
template) I think I'll make my lead from Dwight plagiarize (errr, take
his guidance) and base the CentOS changes from his work in the Oracle
template and then forward port it into the Fedora template.  Doesn't
look too bad.
> alpine should also work but I'm not too sure what's happening, seems to
> be some kind of gpg validation failure on the package manager itself.
> I'll try to poke at it some more later.

> The 4 others simply don't seem to work on a host that's running another
> distro, so to add those to lxc-download, I'd first need to see them
> converted to using config includes and once that's done, I'll need an
> initial rootfs tarball so I can setup a build environment that's running
> the right distro (one time thing as I'll just have it update from
> lxc-download afterwards).

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com