[lxc-devel] templates and "common.conf"

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Sat Jan 18 15:12:36 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 06:44:24AM +0100, lxc at zitta.fr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was starting conversion to common.conf style for gentoo template.
> I understand why  ubuntu which has more than one template need factoring.
>
> I don't understand the point to do it for other "mono-template" distro :
>   "I share common settings with myself" :-)

The reason is simple, if you later on notice that you forgot to add a
setting required for some kind of workload for your distro, you can
simply add it to the common config upstream and when the user will
update LXC, the new settings will apply to all existing containers, not
just to the new ones.

> Why don't we make one real common.conf shared over all distros ?
> Should I propose it ?

Having a main common.conf and userns.conf which are included from the
<template>.common.conf and <template.userns.conf would make sense, if we
can find some settings that we all agree to have that is (which at the
moment doesn't appear to be the case...).