[lxc-devel] Improved sysvinit script

Dwight Engen dwight.engen at oracle.com
Thu Feb 27 14:22:04 UTC 2014

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 03:30:04 +0100
Gianluigi Tiesi <sherpya at netfarm.it> wrote:

> Please check this debian bug report I made, it contains an improved
> init script
> using lxc-autostart

These changes will break the script on Fedora and derived distros. The
reason for /var/lock/subsys is that without it [1], SysV init (on Fedora at
least) won't call the K script at shutdown time so the containers don't
get a chance to shut down cleanly.

There are other problems as well, /lib/lsb/init-functions might not
exist, and even when it does on Fedora it does not contain
log_progress_msg() nor log_daemon_msg().

Maybe it is not practical to have a cross distro sysvinit script?
Perhaps we should have distro specific scripts ala the way we do
default.conf in lxc/config/etc?

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:SysVInitScript#Careful_Handling_of_.2Fvar.2Flock.2Fsubsys.2F.3Cservice_name.3E_mechanism