[lxc-devel] problem with user namespace as root

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Feb 14 17:46:35 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-14 at 11:49 +0100, Stephan Sachse wrote:
> > You didn't say if you had applied my experimental patch or not.  I'm
> > guessing not but I can't be sure.

> no, this was only the complete log of my "i lost my brain" mail.

> > 2) Find the lxc-devsetup script (in lxc/config/init/systemd/lxc-devsetup
> > in the source tree) and run that as root to see if we have better luck
> > under devtmpfs.

> output attached

Maybe there's still some hope here, taking a closer look.

Now...  Was that run with the stock code that was still trying to do the
mknod in setup_autodev or with the code you added attempting to do the
bind mount?

You still need the code doing a bind mount as you still can not do a
mknod.  Unfortunately, you didn't post your final patch but, from what I
see in your initial patch, I see you have two error exits with almost
identical messages, only one prints out a path and the other prints out
the device name.  What I see here is the device name:

lxc-start 1392374433.579 ERROR    lxc_conf - Operation not permitted -
Error creating null

That exit occurs after a failed mknod.  That's telling me that either
you're testing this with the original stock logic or there's a flaw in
your patch and it's still trying to do the mknod, which we know will not
work in a user namespace.