[lxc-devel] [RFE/RFC] Some minor issues with 1.0.0.beta3

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 11 22:53:09 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 07:34:23PM +0100, Robert Vogelgesang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> during the last week I found some minor issues with 1.0.0.beta2 that
> still exist with 1.0.0.beta3;  for all issues I'd like to hear if
> anyone has already a patch for them, and if not, how they should be
> resolved "upstream".
>

> 1. sysvinit script
> ------------------
>
> In RHEL-6 (and derived distributions), the sysvinit scripts normally
> support changing commandline options of daemons via shell variables
> that are set in a file in /etc/sysconfig/ that have the same name
> as the sysvinit script; the sysvinit script sources this file
> before any action is executed.  This could be used, for example,
> to add the -a option to the lxc-autostart command.  Debian uses files
> in /etc/default/ to do the same.
>
> The configure script already has the --with-distro option, which could
> be extended to set the distro-dependent path in the sysvinit script.

Yeah, the sysvinit script could do with some love as I believe currently
it's mostly been used on Oracle. It should be fine on other RedHat based
distros but would need some changes for Debian based distros.

> 2. rundir
> ---------
>
> get_rundir() in src/lxc/utils.c defaults to "/run" if XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
> is not set in the environment.  RHEL-6 uses "/var/run" instead,
> RHEL-7 will use the current "standard" of "/run".  If there are
> enough other distros that still use "/var/run", this should be fixed
> upstream, but if RHEL-6 is the only one, then it could as well be
> solved with a patch when packaging lxc for RHEL-6.

I have sent a patch which should solve that by introducing a new
--with-runtime-path option to configure (defaulting to /run).

> 3. network broadcast address
> ----------------------------
>
> On 20-Jan-2014 I submitted a patch to this list to add the missing
> network address prefix to the container configuration file that is
> written during e.g. a run of lxc-create.  This patch got applied,
> and lxc-create in 1.0.0.beta3 is working as expected.
>
> Later last week I noticed that the container configuration file also
> supports setting an optional broadcast address in the lxc.network.ipv4
> configuration option (but not in lxc.network.ipv6); this broadcast
> address is currently lost, because it does not get written to the
> container configuration file, in the same way as the prefix was
> missing before my patch got in last week.
>
> The patch would be trivial, but is anyone actually using a "custom"
> broadcast address?  If not, this feature could as well be removed
> completely.

I have sent a patch which solves that one. I'm not sure anyone out there
really uses non-standard broadcast addresses but it was simple enough to
fix...