[lxc-devel] call to setup_dev_symlinks with lxc.autodev

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Apr 17 17:20:43 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-04-17 at 12:09 -0500, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Michael H. Warfield (mhw at WittsEnd.com):
> > On Thu, 2014-04-17 at 10:19 -0500, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> > > Quoting Michael H. Warfield (mhw at WittsEnd.com):
> >
> > [Snip]

> > > So it sounds like you think that if he had not done either of these and
> > > lxc had simply ignored the errors, he would have had an error in
> > > userspace later on?
> >
> > He might have.  Recurse back to what Harald reported about the /dev/fd
> > error.  It would depend on a process accessing one of those required
> > links.
> >
> > > Perhaps what we need is a clearer error message on the failure.  Does
> > > someone mind writing the patch to do so?
> >
> > I'm not so sure.  He didn't give us the error message he got.  I'd like

> I thought at one point he did.

I looked and I didn't see it.  I'll rereview the entire thread again.

> > to see that.  To me, that call to SYSERROR should be sufficient.

> It doesn't say "and this must exist per <kerneldocfile>".  So it sounds
> like we want it, rather than 'it must be there or things will break'.

Harald didn't say that.  Dwight found it in the kernel documentation
that said those were mandatory.  Herald reported a specific case where a
function, a redirected cat, failed due to /dev/fd.  Mandatory to me
means that someone is going to end up relying on it and, if it breaks,
failures are going to be puzzlers to figure out.

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com