[lxc-devel] call to setup_dev_symlinks with lxc.autodev

William Dauchy wdauchy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 15:04:25 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 1:35 AM, Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com> wrote:
> If I recall the discussion some time ago, those 4 symlinks (fd, stdin,
> stdout, and stderr) are mandatory according to the Linux kernel
> documentation.  Sounds like your read-only file system is not set up
> properly.  Is there some reason why you can not properly fix that ro-fs
> permanently so you don't have to go back and access it manually?

These four links are actually present. I guess the mount is not
correctly setup at this time because if I'm going though the directory
just before start (ls -l in /dev), it works, and the `symlink`
function is returning EEXIST and the container can start.

> The issue actually came up in another context and not just in the
> autodev case.  An application was failing due to the absence of those
> symlinks and our attention was called to the failure and the documented
> requirement.  Not calling it if autodev == 0 would not necessarily be
> appropriate.

My point is, it would make sense if we had an option to disable it
since we do have an option for autodev and kmsg, why not for those
four links? So my proposition was to include it in autodev option.

William