[lxc-devel] lxc-console problem with 0 tty but "the console"

Guillaume ZITTA lxc at zitta.fr
Tue Apr 1 12:49:35 UTC 2014

Hi,

In lxc-gentoo template, I supposed that in a ssh world more than 1 tty
is overkill.
So, by default lxc-gentoo use only the "console", no additionnal tty

I didn't figure out that, by default, lxc-console tries to connect to
the first tty.
This lead to poor user experience :

# lxc-console -n testconsole
lxc_container: console -1 invalid,busy or all consoles busy

# lxc-console -n testconsole -t 0
..working console

I have two solutions to fix this and I wanted to ask before work in the
wrong direction :
- patch lxc-console to try "-t 0" if the default "-t 1" fails
My favorite, it's a pitty to fail when there is a working console.
I don't know how to do it, but I'll figure out.

- patch lxc-gentoo template to provide at least 1 additionnal tty
Easy but, not my favorite

What do you think ?

Guillaume ZITTA