[lxc-devel] [Lxc-users] Working LXC templates? EUREAKA! I think I've got it!

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Sep 20 21:34:51 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-17 at 10:26 -0700, Tony Su wrote:
> Regarding
>
> LXC and the use of Linux Bridge devices for configured networking,
> At least on openSUSE, LXC is not configured with any /etc/lxc/* by
> default, and possibly because I also have libvirt configured to
> support LXC (although that is not working on my system).
>
> From what I've seen though, I cannot see why configuring networking
> should be in a general lxc configuration file, or even if it should
> exist I see it as reaasonable to configure within a template(why not
> point the build to a pre-existing virtual network complete with its
> own configuration?).
>
> In any case as I noted before, pointing the Container interface to a
> pre-existing virtual Linux Bridge device instead of a physical
> interface  in the template should be nearly trivial. If you wanted to
> support bridge creation and configuration, that'd be a big project
> outside the scope of what I'm describing.

> yum and chroot. Hmmmm. From what I can see, at the point you invoke
> yum, nothing has yet been downloaded so any functionality you invoke
> must exist in the HostOS. Despite running in the chroot environment, I
> can't see how yum can work unless it's also present in the HostOS.
> Maybe if I test this on a distro that doesn't support yum natively
> I'll find different, but based purely on perusing the code I can't see
> how it would work otherwise.

> line 155
> chroot ${rootfs_path} yum --releasever=${release} -y install fedora-release

That line is in "config_fedora, called at line 926 after the call to
install_fedora at line 920 where the run time install is downloaded and
run.  It should be installed at the time in question or something
earlier has failed.  Flow of control definitely needs to be cleaned up.

Regards,
Mike