[lxc-devel] Some important project changes

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 20 16:37:52 UTC 2013

Hey everyone,

So there are quite a few major changes coming to the way the LXC project
will is managed and to the infrastructure we use.

As most of you probably noticed, Daniel Lezcano has been incredibly busy
of late and only had time to do the final review and merge before
tagging a release, leaving the rest of the review work to Serge Hallyn
and I in the staging branch.

After doing that for over a year, we've sat with Daniel here at Plumbers
2013 and agreed that Serge and I would become the new maintainers for
the LXC project with Daniel being available as a last resort but no
longer being on the critical release path.

On top of that change, we're also going to rework the infrastructure of
the project, to hopefully make it simpler for everyone.

Specifically, the following will happen over the next few days/weeks:
 - The git master branch from sourceforge will be moved to github
 - The current staging branch will be merged into the master branch
 - The staging branch will be removed
 - The git server on sourceforge will be closed, redirecting to github
   (if at all possible)
 - All the bug reports on sourceforge will be moved to github
 - The bug tracker on sourceforge will be closed, redirecting to github
   (if at all possible)
 - The website on lxc.sourceforge.net will be moved to
   linuxcontainers.org, going through a bit of a redesign in the process.
   A redirection will be put in place.
 - A mailman server will be setup on lists.linuxcontainers.org and the
   two existing mailing-lists will be moved over there (including existing
   subscribers and mailing-list history).

In the end, the plan is to completely stop using sourceforge and instead
use github for everything but the mailing-lists which will be handled by
our own mailman server.

This should make it easier for everyone to get an overview of the
project, fork our master branch and contribute changes.

The transition will be as seamless as I can possibly make it, I'll be
sending an e-mail to this list every time I cross one of those items of
the list.

Finally, I'd like to thank Daniel for the hard work he's been putting
into LXC for over 5 years now and wish him all the best for his new
projects!