[lxc-devel] Change rootfs pinning mechnism

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Sep 13 14:59:43 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 07:56 -0500, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Jäkel, Guido (G.Jaekel at dnb.de):
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm late but I just want to mention that I expect that all this kind
> of "unlinking" on a NFS will show up as a stale NFS handle, i.e. a
> still visible hidden directory entry (.nfs00??????????????????????).
> Therefore, one have to take care of this (i.e. exclude) if he make a
> copy of such (for the purpose of cloning or even for backups). This
> isn't a LXC-, but a NFS-caveat. An NFS-aware will (should) know about
> to deal with this but there he should have to know (by the
> documentation) that LXC will use this unlinking mechanism to correlate
> this stale handle.

> Will it use the same name every time?  Will it eventually go away?

> I really don't want a new switch for this.  If we have to do something
> I'd rather detect nfs and do something different.

Jäkel beat me to the punch on that one but he's absolutely right.  The
whole delete a file with the file handle still open is known to NOT work
properly over NFS.  In the back of my mind, I seem to recall some
discussion over whether NFS v3 would handle that case properly or not.
I could be wrong there but earlier versions would definitely NOT behave
as intended.  I have no clue if it works over AFS or SMB but I
definitely would not trust it over any network file system.  The results
could be unpredictable.

Regards,
Mike