[lxc-devel] RFC: Device Namespaces

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 3 19:35:34 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 12:06:38PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On 08/22/2013 10:43 AM, Oren Laadan wrote:
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > We [1] have been working on bringing lightweight virtualization to
> > Linux-based mobile devices like Android (or other Linux-based devices with
> > diverse I/O) and want to share our solution: device namespaces.
>
> Have you looked at systemd-logind?  It seems to do something similar.

logind can be used to know the list of existing user sessions and which
have console access, it also creates and to some extent manages cgroups
but it doesn't do anything that the device namespace would at the kernel
level.

The main benefit from having a device namespace in the kernel would be
to only get the uevents and device access for devices that are either
owned or shared with the container. Being able to have fake devices
replace some of the standard ones would also be nice to have.