[lxc-devel] what happened to the autostart proposals?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Oct 20 12:46:10 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-10-20 at 12:21 +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 15:17:22 -0400
> Stéphane Graber <stgraber at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 08:26:53PM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > there were several proposals on this mailing list about how
> > > to start and stop a group of LXC containers, e.g. at boot or
> > > shutdown time.
> > >
> > > Are there any news about this?
> > >

> > > Regards
> > > Harri
> >
> > I've been (slowly) working on that. I have a local branch here that adds
> > all the needed options and Serge implemented the functions I needed to
> > list all the containers

> I would think that this functionallity is all that is needed to be
> useful. An initscript could do something like:

> for container in $(lxc_list_containers_to_autostart); do
> 	lxc-start -n $container ...
> done

That may be all that's useful to you but there are several of us who
begged to differ in earlier discussions a year or more ago.  Ideas
included fine grained boot order control and/or priorities with,
possible, some delays or cadence to avoid crushing the machine's load
average.  I also liked the features in OpenVZ where a container could be
designed, in it's config, if it was to autoboot at start (you might not
want to start every container at boot) and only boot them manually.
Another option was to "disable" a container to prevent it from being
started accidentally.  That's useful when you have a container you're
working on that creates some sort of conflict.

What you describe above is roughly what Ubuntu does with their symlinks
in an autostart directory point at the config files.  Some of us felt
that paradigm was insufficient.  I'm in favor of configuration
parameters which can then migrated from host to host when migrating.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Stéphane comes out with.