[lxc-devel] LXC live migrate

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 26 02:58:13 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 04:04:36AM +0200, Marian Marinov wrote:
> Hey guys,
> I just read on LWN about the checkpoint/restore tool:
>    http://lwn.net/Articles/574917/
>
> With this, it seams possible to freeze and restore a whole container from one node to another.
>
> I'll give it a try this week to give more details on how it actually works.
>
> Marian

I think I last tried it with CRIU 0.8 without much success but I took an
action item during Ubuntu's planning even last week to try with a newer
release and get in touch with Pavel if I'm still having issues.

From what we discussed at Linux Plumbers, CRIU should indeed let you
dump a full container and restore it on the same machine or on another
so long as the filesystem and any other external dependency of the
container matches.

If I can get this working and they've resolved a few of the known issues
(specifically the fact that it'd only build on x86_64), then the plan is
to add API calls to LXC's API that'll implement the checkpoint/restore
feature using CRIU.