[lxc-devel] Ubuntu container failure on Fedora...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Nov 12 13:31:03 UTC 2013

Ok all...

Seems like this just started happening in the last few weeks and I'm not
sure when...  But...  My newly created Ubuntu containers are failing to
start on my Fedora hosts because of a mount problem.  So...

What's this, what does it do, and is this really required?

[root at hydra mhw]# lxc-create -n Ubuntu -t ubuntu -- --release raring
lxc_container: No such file or directory - Failed to make / rslave to run template
lxc_container: Continuing...
Checking cache download in /var/cache/lxc/raring/rootfs-amd64 ...
Copy /var/cache/lxc/raring/rootfs-amd64 to /var/lib/lxc/Ubuntu/rootfs ...
Copying rootfs to /var/lib/lxc/Ubuntu/rootfs ...
Generating locales...
  en_US.UTF-8... up-to-date
Generation complete.
Creating SSH2 RSA key; this may take some time ...
Creating SSH2 DSA key; this may take some time ...
Creating SSH2 ECDSA key; this may take some time ...

##
# The default user is 'ubuntu' with password 'ubuntu'!
# Use the 'sudo' command to run tasks as root in the container.
##

[root at hydra mhw]# lxc-start -n Ubuntu
lxc-start: No such file or directory - failed to mount '/sys/fs/fuse/connections' on '/usr/lib64/lxc/rootfs/sys/fs/fuse/connections'
lxc-start: failed to setup the mounts for 'Ubuntu'
lxc-start: failed to setup the container
lxc-start: invalid sequence number 1. expected 2
lxc-start: failed to spawn 'Ubuntu'
[root at hydra mhw]#

Now...  If I remove this line from /var/lib/lxc/Ubuntu/fstab, then
things seem to all work.  The container boots and seems to function.

/sys/fs/fuse/connections sys/fs/fuse/connections none bind 0 0

What breaks in Ubuntu if I do this?  Why is ANY "fuse" fs being included
in a container?  Are any hosts expected to have a requirement for user
space file system?  Ok...  Maybe an overlayfs I can understand, but...

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com