[lxc-devel] Container autostart proposal V2

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Fri May 31 14:09:51 UTC 2013

On 05/31/2013 02:08 AM, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Hi Stéphane,
>
> On 05/30/13 17:39, Stéphane Graber wrote:
>>
>> If we were to use groups for everything, we'd end up having to reserve
>> "disabled", "autostart", "last-state".
>>
>> And then make those 3 conflict so that a container couldn't be in more
>> than one of those at any given time.
>>
>> This seems rather complicated and non-obvious for our users, so I'd
>> rather keep things simple and have separate lxc.start.auto and
>> lxc.start.disabled config entries.
>>

> Using attributes instead of group names is fine with me.
>

>> lxc-stop sends SIGKILL by default which is usually instantaneous, if
>> it's not, that's because of I/O wait on the kernel side which
>> parallelization will just make worse.
>>

> I thought this default has been changed recently, didn't it? According
> to the current man page lxc-stop sends SIGPWR to the container, telling
> init to enter run level 0, to wait for the childs, and then to exit.
>

>> I'm not planning on doing anything more clever than simply doing serial
>> start of the containers, waiting for lxc.start.delay if it's present.
>>

> Using a serial startup procedure for the containers is fine with me.
> My major concern was about lxc-stop.
>
> Surely parallel execution would introduce much more complexity, and
> most of the users wouldn't notice the difference. I completely agree
> that things should be kept simple.
>

> Many thanx
> Harri

Hmm, indeed, lxc-stop's behaviour changed a bit lately.

With that in mind, I believe having lxc-stop do parallel shutdown should
be fine. The start priority and delays don't apply to shutdown anyway,
so we don't need to sort the containers or wait for a delay, simply
forking for every container and stopping them all at once should
therefore be easy to do and safe.