[lxc-devel] [Spam-Wahrscheinlichkeit=75]Re: Container autostart proposal

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue May 28 19:40:08 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 14:25 +0000, Jäkel, Guido wrote:
> >> So I'd rather not abuse the sticky bit for that kind of thing,
> >> especially as there's no good reason to do so.
> >> We can very simply create a separate state file that's removed on
> >> shutdown, or just use the one we already have (rootfs.hold).
> >
> >I have to also concur with this.  I would be appalled and adamently
> >opposed to overloading the stick bit with that sort of functionality
> >that could have untold side effects.  It would end up being poorly
> >documented, confusing and very misunderstood.  We've seen that sort of
> >thing in the Samba project.  A state file (similar to the .hold file) in
> >the container's management directory makes vastly more sense.

> Oh, I tapped on a mine ;) No problem for me to use a separate file for
> this. It's much more portable to any kind of platform, too. Or even
> better the one we already have, if this will also then fulfill
> "separation of concerns" and don't use it to support two features.

Eh...  I've certain done (frequently) worse.  Said as I set down my
little silver hammer I use for tapping on mines.

It is a very good point, however, that we need to incorporate some sort
of "autorestart" into the process as well.

To take an example from a typical BIOS (example based on experience with
AMD, Phoenix, Dell, and Lenovo BIOS) there's the issue of the "power on
state".  It can be "On", "Off", or "Last State".  That's not a binary
condition.

Maybe that should be our autoboot parameter then?  I'm working on some
bash psuedo code for this autoboot process to take into account
the /etc/lxc/auto paradigm plus the concept of an "autoboot" parameter
in the config plus priorities and groups.  This should be something
which could be incorporated but it means the autoboot parameter is not a
"binary" but a "tristate".  I'm going to give that some real thought
before posting my strawman autoboot sorting code.  I think I can
incorporate that.  Good thought there.

/me thinking to self...  Values to "lxc.autoboot"...

lxc.autoboot = [on|off|last|yes|no|shrug|true|false|maybe|0|1|
somtimes|???]

:-)=)