[lxc-devel] lxc_monitord - monitor exiting

Dwight Engen dwight.engen at oracle.com
Fri May 10 19:05:25 UTC 2013

On Tue, 7 May 2013 09:43:30 -0500
Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Quoting Dwight Engen (dwight.engen at oracle.com):
> > On Mon, 6 May 2013 19:08:08 -0500
> > Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Quoting Dwight Engen (dwight.engen at oracle.com):

> > > Right you are.  I was so busy worrying about how to protect the
> > > on-disk container and in-memory container_struct I wasn't thinking
> > > about the shared fdtable.
> > >
> > > Should we have a single mutex around all fd modifications?  What
> > > else?
> >
> > I think that will certainly work here, I haven't considered other
> > places. Do we need to think about sighand and umask? Would you
> > prefer
>
> Yeah we should.
>
> (And I need to decide how to fix the fact that c->slock is just called
> the container name, regardless the lxcpath)
>
> > to use the semaphores lxc already has (ie lxc_newlock() with no
> > name)
>
> Actually we're doing different things there, so I'm happy to use
> pthread_mutex, unless it'll cause trouble for people using different
> toolchains (i.e. android/bionic).  The semaphores we're using are to
> protect the container_struct itself, and to protect the on-disk
> container data.  For protecting the task data itself, pthread_mutex
> seems perfect.  (And no name is needed.)
>
> > over pthread_mutex? Since Çağlar verified the test fix worked for
> > him also I'd like to make a real fix.
>
> Should I push the patch from yesterday as a first step, or would you
> prefer to do all at once with one patch?  I'm fine either way.

Hi Serge, after testing this a bit more and the fact that you're fine
using pthread_mutex, I think its okay as is since it fixes the immediate
problem. If/When we find more process things that need thread locking
we can rename the lock and make it more generic. If you want me to submit
a regular git patch with sign off and all just let me know.